What is beef cube steak? It is round steak that has been pulverized to make it more tender. While it is certainly an economical choice, the trick is preparing it so that it’s tasty.
Serving Size: 4-6
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper, to taste
2 pounds cube steak
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup olive oil
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Add the cube steaks to the mixture and coat on both sides. Let it sit in egg mixture for about 10 minutes.
In a plastic bag, combine the flour, cornstarch, and a little salt and pepper. Remove the steaks from the egg mixture and place in zip lock bag. Shake until the steaks are coated evenly. Remove, and place steaks on a rack for another 10 minutes.
In a large skillet, add olive oil and place over medium heat. Once hot, fry steaks, flipping only once, about 2-3 minutes per side. You want the steaks to be golden brown. Remove, and place on serving platter. Serve with your choice of gravy and vegetables.
Serving Size: 6
2 lbs. cube steak
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt and black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1. In an iron skillet add oil and allow it to heat.
2. Pound each cube steak between plastic wrap until thin with a cleaver.
3. Take 2 mixing bowls add milk to one and in the other combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
4. Dip each cube steak into the milk and dredge through the flour mixture on both sides.
5. Add to skillet in hot oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides, 3-4 minutes per side.
6. Serve with gravy.
photo credit: William Woodward (Woody)
Serving Size: 6
6 beef cube steaks
1 stick unsalted butter
1 large white onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 package baby bella mushrooms, sliced Read more